39TH QUARTERLY EDITION
Fifty years ago, America was in the midst of a historic quest to land a man on the Moon. Our 39th Quarterly Release, the “Three Missions” Edition, celebrates the programs that got us there.
Each 3-Pack consists of three Memo Books, one each for the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs. These books are full of facts and figures. They feature dramatic photographs of iconic moments from those missions on the covers, printed in full process color, plus “Orbital Silver” metallic ink and an aqueous coating. The insides are Finch Opaque 60#T white graph paper with the rules printed in an extremely light “Firmament Gray” ink. Those pages will be helpful in planning a summer picnic, or calculating optimal orbital trajectories and eccentricities.
SIMULATORS FOR 1:50-SCALE ASTRONAUTS
Additionally, you’ll notice these 3-Packs come in a slightly larger package than usual. That’s because each set also contains three “Punch-Out and Assemble” Mission-Specific Crew Capsule Models, for fun and education.
Now keep in mind that these models, when assembled following our overly-wordy instructions (download), will not survive reentry into the atmosphere, probably won’t float after splashdown and are unlikely to earn you a ticker-tape parade. However, they have been tested in space and returned safely to earth. Really:
We hope you enjoy this edition as much as we, here at Field Notes Mission Control, enjoyed making them. As we researched these books, we were constantly and dramatically reminded of the truly monumental achievements of the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo scientists, support and crew members. Our thanks goes out to them, and also the current staff at NASA and the JPL. Let’s go back to the moon, and beyond!
- 01. Proudly printed by the good people of eDOC Communications, Mount Prospect, Ill.
- 02. Cover: Westrock Tango 12pt. C1S “White” with cyan, magenta, yellow, black, and “Orbital Silver” soy-based Saphira inks and an aqueous coating.
- 03. Innards: Finch Paper Opaque Smooth 60#T “Bright White,” with a light, 1-color dusting of “Firmament Gray” soy-based Saphira ink.
- 04. Cover and innards printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 40" 6-color printing press.
- 05. Bound with a Heidelberg Stitchmaster ST 270 5-pocket saddle stitcher with cover feeder/scorer & Rima RS 10S in-line stacker, with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the “Founding Fathers of the Staple.”
- 06. Corners precisely rounded to a 3/8" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge SCM double round-corner machine.
- 07. Graph grid: 3/16" × 3/16" (4.7mm × 4.7mm).
- 08. Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2" × 5-1/2" (89mm × 140mm).
- 09. Models and backing sheet printed on Domtar Lynx 80#C in seven spot colors by eDOC Communications, Mount Prospect, Ill. and die cut by Nu Wave Die Cutting and Finishing, Chicago, Ill.
- 10. Water-transfer decals printed in five spot colors by Art Decal Enterprises, Long Beach, Cal.
- 11. FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
- 12. All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.