Underland - Field Notes 3 pack
FRIENDS IN LOW PLACES
It’s funny how things work out sometimes. Robert Macfarlane’s “Underland: A Deep Time Journey” was Jim’s favorite book of 2019, and it was Stanley Donwood’s glorious painting “Nether,” which illustrates the book’s cover, that first drew Jim to it in a local bookshop. Robert wrote a piece on the Penguin site about writing the book and specifically about the notebooks he kept while doing research, and it turns out, many of those journals were Field Notes.
WHAT LIES BENEATH
With a quick email exchange, a swap of a signed copy of the book for a box of Field Notes was arranged. Fast forward to the publication of the paperback of “Underland” and it seemed natural to produce an Underland Field Notes collaboration. We’re proud to say that this limited edition is available now. Even if you’re not planning a trip to the catacombs under Paris, or the “starless rivers” that flow below the limestone in north-west Italy, we hope you’ll find these useful to record your own adventures.
Robert Macfarlane, is a much awarded author, known for his books on landscape, science, place, and language. His latest, “Underland,” explores the subterranean world including a nuclear waste facility in Finland, ancient burial tombs under Somerset, England, the Paris catacombs, and a laboratory buried deep under the UK where scientists study sub-atomic particles and the origins of the universe. The Guardian called “Underland,” “one of the most ambitious works of narrative non-fiction of our age,” and it is now available in paperback.
Stanley Donwood is best known for creating the artwork and album covers for Radiohead since 1994. A prolific painter and designer, Donwood’s “Nether” is featured on the cover of “Underland,” and on our limited-edition 3-Pack. Macfarlane and Donwood also published “Ness,” a beautifully illustrated prose poem about a specific place and its (and our) history.
- 01. Proudly printed by the good people of Lake County Press, Inc., Waukegan, Ill.
- 02. Cover: Sappi McCoy 100#C “Fresh Snowy White,” with a thick, brute force, 4-color application of CMYK soy-based Toyo inks.
- 03. Innards: Finch Paper Opaque Smooth 60#T “Bright White,” with a fine, 1-color application of “Sunshine Yellow” soy-based Toyo ink.
- 04. Cover and innards printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 40" 6-color printing press.
- 05. Bound with a Heidelberg Stitchmaster ST 270 5-pocket saddle stitcher with cover feeder/scorer & Rima RS 10S in-line stacker, with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the “Founding Fathers of the Staple.”
- 06. Corners precisely rounded to a 3/8" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge DCM double round-corner machine.
- 07. Ruled lines: 1/4" (6.4mm).
- 08. Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2" × 5-1/2" (89mm × 140mm).
- 09. FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
- 10. All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.
Field Notes - National Parks Series
SIX 3-PACKS, EIGHTEEN PARKS Since the early days of Field Notes we have been searching for just the right way create an edition celebrating America’s National Parks. When we saw...
Field Notes 3-pack County Fair Graph Paper
For Summer 2010, Field Notes celebrated the 50 great U.S. states (plus Washington D.C.) with County Fair, our seventh Quarterly Edition. Each County Fair 3-Pack highlights an individual U.S. state, with one memo book...
BLACKWING SLATE NOTEBOOK -Medium Blank
The medium Blackwing Slate is an A5 hardcover notebook that is a bit wider than a standard notebook (148 x 210 mm). It features 160 pages of 100 GSM ivory...