The number 5 is no ordinary number. Wiki tells that 5 represents curiosity and adventure; the importance of number 5 runs through every culture and religion in the world; and the things associated with the number 5 range from the mundane to the bizarre!
From science, to arts, music to anatomy, the number 5 tends to be very symbolic in various cultures.
In the world of small business, 5 is also a pretty big milestone. And this month, October 2021, The Simple Man did that – we celebrated our 5th anniversary. 5 years of learning, 5 years of being both curious and seeking adventure while striving to span a variety of interests and the people we serve.
As a fun way to celebrate, we decided to put together a few Top 5 Lists.
The Top 5 Most Popular Items Sold in the Past 5 Years
- National Park candles
- Omaha Buffalo t-shirt
- Omaha map pint glass
- I’m a Ray of F&*#@! Sunshine mug
- Field Notes
The 5 Things You May Not Even Know
- We have a basement and down there is some décor and clearance items as well as the fitting room and space to chill out (couch & tv).
- Teddy has been the Employee of the Month for 31 straight months.
- I built all the fixtures in the shop myself (with the help of close friends).
- Have you ever found the hidden liquor stash?
- The Simple Man name was born on a backtracking trip at Isle Royale National Park with my buddies. After hours of discussion about the concept, jokes & ridiculous ideas, and even some razzing, I believe it was Joel who said “what about The Simple Man”? It made me stop in my tracks (literally).
The 5 Goals for the Next 5 Years
- Build out a second location.
- Provide employment opportunities for others.
- Design more The Simple Man-branded merchandise.
- Wholesale that merchandise to other stores.
- Be actively involved, but maybe not be here all the time ;) I have some other ideas I’d love to explore to continue to grow the business.
In the world of retail buying shifts and a pandemic, we are VERY aware how blessed we are to reach the 5 year mark. Most of all, we want to thank you.
Thanks for checking us out, for believing in us and the support for the past years to help us grow.
Let’s celebrate together.